CT Today

• January 3Breaking News: New Website Look and Management

CTHS Gun Control Walk-Out

Emily Berton, Ramsha Ahamad, and Brooke Pantaleo cheer on the sea of students after a heartfelt speech at the CT Walk-out.

Maxwell Marucut

Maxwell Marucut

Morgan Jacobus and Maxwell Marucut

Abigail Wehrman (12) holds a sign that reads "A teacher is not a soldier" at the March 14, 2018 Walk-Out.

On March 14, 2018, hundreds of students walked out of class at 10AM to protest gun control laws and the regulation thereof. Prior to the walkout, a twitter account, @CTHSwalkout was created by Emily Berton, Ramsha Ahmad, and Brooke Pantaleo to update the students on the details of the walkout.

Voices raised and chanting with their “…voices louder than the gunshots,” said Abigail Wherman (12) about the CT Students pushing for stricter gun regulation in lieu of the recent Parkland shootings.

The final instructions, as well as the final executed details, according to the twitter account @CTHSwalkout, was to, “Head over after the dismissal of 1st period, bring your signs and/or posters. Sit in peaceful protest to remember the victims of Parkland. Remember this is a peaceful demonstration, so come out to support a great cause. Spread the word, because there’s strength in numbers!”

One by one, various students stood to make a speech about why participating in this walkout was important both to them, and the change they want to enact upon the world. Emily Berton (12), one of the three organizers of the walkout, said to the crowd, “This is bigger than CT, this is history. Little things like this is what makes change happen, become a part of something bigger.”