Celebrate the Arts

Zoey Lynch

The students performing on Tuesday, February 5th during Wish Week swarmed into the auditorium in a sea of burgundy, all wearing shirts that say CT Celebrate the Arts. As the students sat down and waited, eventually the audience quieted down and the principle, Jean Griego-Incitti welcomed everyone to the night’s performance.

“Art is culture and that’s what we are seeing here today,” Performing Arts Department coordinator Neil Guy said.

A perfect after school activity for our Part of Your World day is Celebrate the Arts concert in the school gymnasium. The celebration is not limited to just CT students, our sister elementary and middle schools get to participate as well.

“We have known our song since November,” Fox Ridge seventh grader Hieu Connor said.

Hieu and his classmates had practiced their song every day since they had first learned it, and they were getting anxious to preform.

Before the concert, the performers had arrived at our school as soon as school ended at 3:45 to practice, get their shirts, and eat. Sydney, Abby, and Lauren, Fox Ridge eighth graders, talked to each other about their night.

“Today was so much fun. And I am excited to get to preform with the high school students. I hope I will get the chance to perform here again,” Abby said. Her and most of her classmates will be going to CT next year.

The spirit day prior to the event was to dress as part of your culture, and so many students from all of these schools came together to celebrate the arts, the arts that are part of their culture. And whether it be Orchestra, Band, Choir or Theater, the culture of art should be a reason to celebrate.