How Students Pay for Things

Back to Article
Back to Article

How Students Pay for Things

Rummaging around his backpack, Damien Nixon (10) searches for money to pay for his lunch on Jan. 16, 2019. Always ordering a frozen lemonade and chips, Nixon makes sure to have at least five dollars everyday.

Olivia Semple

Olivia Semple

Olivia Semple

Olivia Semple, Staffer

Damien Nixon (11) holds his hand out to his parents on his way out the door. With a crisp 20 in his hand, he heads to the mall. Always relying on his parents for money, Damien has never had a job. “ I just say I’m going out, “ Nixon says, “ and I’m given money. “

Nixon remembers that even as a young child he always had enough. “I used to have a wallet, and at the beginning of every week, I had a 10 dollar bill in it.” Nixon knows that he is fortunate and wishes that he could have a job and make his own money for once.

For other teens, having money on hand isn’t that easy. Kayleigh Fridel (10) has two jobs and almost never asks for money. Working for Quiznos at $10.25 an hour, and babysitting for $12 , Fridel earns her money.

“ I would prefer not to work, it takes a lot of time out of my life. But my mom says if I want to do fun things, I have to use my own cash,” Friedel said, ”It sucks, but without my paycheck, my fun would be limited. “

Other students rely on neither a job or parents. Students like Ashley Reitmair (10) use, “ birthday or Christmas money, and make extra cash by occasionally babysitting.”

However, Reitmair never receives money from her parents and wishes for a job. “ If I could, I would get a job, but the thought of long hours and less free time just-it’s something I don’t see myself doing in the near future. “

“Money can be tough to have, and I always wonder how I manage to pay for everything,” Reitmair said. “ I’ve learned to take what I can get and enjoy every cent I have.”