1 Team Equals 1 Heart.

Cherokee Trails JV softball team smiles for the camera after an exciting game.

Alexis Zubowicz, ITJ Member

The JV Softball team went 7-2-1 on the season, despite Covid-19 cutting it short. To comply with strict restrictions, the team had to wear masks while in the dugout. The girls and coaches gave it their all at every game and practice to dominate this season. Each time they walked onto the field, it was like they were marching into battle.

“The coronavirus changed the relationships I made during the high school softball season because it made it harder to interact, communicate, and meet new people,” said catcher Kiley Schroer (10).

Kiley has been playing softball at Cherokee Trail for 2 seasons. She has experienced softball with the coronavirus, and without it, she has noticed huge differences in each of her seasons. She is a catcher, so she plays a large role in the team’s attitude and morale, which gives her a good perspective on the changes.

“This year didn’t feel much different from last year, so I don’t think that I would have much of a preference between my freshman and sophomore year,” said catcher Haylie Wenke (10). 

Haylie has also been playing softball at Cherokee Trail for 2 seasons. Contrary to Kiley, she didn’t notice much of a difference between her freshman and sophomore seasons. She was still able to do what she loved, so that was all that mattered to her.

“If it were taken away from me I don’t know what I would do with all my free time,” said infielder Jenna Ferger (10). 

It is Jenna’s 2nd year playing softball for Cherokee Trail. She also plays club softball and aspires to play in college. Her life revolves around softball and the teams she plays with. Her perspective was changed when she realized that being able to play softball was becoming a luxury rather than a normal activity.

“I value it more because having to take a break from it made me realize how much I love playing softball and how much work I put into it,” said infielder Jenna Ferger (10)