DACA Repeal and Walkout

Many gather to protest the proposed DACA repeal next to Trump Tower.

Morgan Jacobus and Toni Elton

Since President Donald Trump announced his decision to repeal the DACA program on September 5, 2017, much surprise, dishevelment, and protest has flooded the United States. The DACA program stands for deferred action of childhood arrivals. The program was created in 2012 by the Obama Administration, and it protects illegal minors from immediate deportation.

President Trump decided to repeal DACA in order to carry out his goal of eliminating illegal immigration in the U.S. In an ABC interview in January of 2017 Trump stated, “They are here illegally. They shouldn’t be very worried. I do have a big heart. We are going to take care of everyone. We’re going to have stronger borders.” Trump stated his decision on the program, but that does not mean that DACA is guaranteed to come to an end. The power to terminate or legalize this program is now in the hands of congress. Congress has until March 5, 2018 to come to a decision on DACA. Until then, many illegal minors are still protected.

Many are now left to wonder how this will affect the people supported by DACA, and the United States as a whole. According to professor of political science, Tom K. Wong’s national DACA study, after joining the program 69% of people reported that they received higher paying jobs. Taking away the DACA program could lead to a loss of these jobs, and therefore, a decline in the economy. DACA supports nearly 800,000 people in the U.S, and if Congress makes the decision to terminate the program in six months, there will be a lot of people unemployed, and many other problems left to handle. If DACA is not legalized by congress after six months, the program will be phased out. But until then, citizens are left to wonder about the program’s importance to our nation, and how they personally stand on the subject.

Many high school students concerned themselves on this issue as well. As a matter of fact, several participated in a walkout in order to protest such a decision. Despite Cherokee Trail’s lack of participation, Eaglecrest’s student population experienced a significant turnout. “Over half of the school participated in the DACA walkout, so I’d say roughly around 12 hundred,” said Eaglecrest student, Josie Wisler (11). Eaglecrest wasn’t a lone supporter either, as Grandview also organized a peaceful walkout.

Those who chose to leave class in the walkout were heading to Arapahoe library in order to listen to “Dreamers” speak on the repeal of the DACA arrangement. According to a viral Snapchat post COPA, CCSD, APD, Smoky Security, and other authorities from Grandview and Eaglecrest would be there in order to ensure the safety of the protesters. It was a cumulative effort that was backed by both high schools that supported the students’ rights to walkout. However, those that chose to leave campus wouldn’t be free of consequence. As they are choosing to leave their classes it would be cited as an unexcused absence, which many attested their lack of participation towards. Wisler stated that they would’ve gladly participated in support if it weren’t for their classes.