Toni’s Top Songs for the Fall Season

Photo by Toni Elton

Album covers from some of this month’s favorites!

Toni Elton, Editor In Chief

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5ppSIFPZlmvAZONkiE4XgN

The gradual alterations within nature-the changing of the leaves, the cloud laden sky, the gentle breath of summer wind turning cold. As fall enters in, the cool weather isn’t the only thing that brings comfort to the season. For a music enthusiast like me, a good playlist is essential to creating an enjoyable atmosphere to match the season. Here I share with you my top ten music picks for fall, enjoy. 

1.Fall Down–Crumb

Like the vast majority of Crumb’s songs, this one is mellow with a modern sound harnessed by the powerful female vocals of Lila Ramani, and unison of guitar and synth within the rhythm section. This song is off of their newest album “Jinx” which was released in June of 2019.

About the Artist: Crumb’s roots are in Brooklyn, NY and they produce music in the genres of indie and psychedelic rock. Led by vocalist Lila Ramani, the first EPs and singles from the band were songs created by Ramani in high school and college.

2. Frontwards–Pavement

The complex mix of untamed vocals and guitar is truly what brought Pavement to fame during the ‘90s. This song takes a more tranquil route while keeping the timber guitar riffs that this band stands for. The slowed vocals complement the crisp weather and the song in its entirety creates a nostalgic feel that provokes listeners to focus on the moment.

About the Artist: Pavement was formed in 1989 in California. Their popularity in the underground music scene of the ‘90s along with The Flaming Lips, Dinosaur Jr., and Built to Spill, created leeway for the rise in the indie/lo-fi music genre.

3. Heavenly Showers–Twin Peaks 

Similar to the sound of Pavement, Twin Peaks is a band with a mix of rough guitar, bass, and drums, but they also surprise listeners with more mellow songs with more folk influences. The acoustic guitar and vocal harmony curate a soothing yet rustic tone to the song that pairs well with a rustle of leaves and crackle of a fire. In addition, the lyrics of love and loss evoke a tinge of yearning in the heart that suits the fleeting emotions and endless longing associated with the chilly season.

About the Artist: Twin Peaks is a band from Chicago, Illinois which was formed in 2010. Each member of the band takes part in songwriting as well as performing which adds to the creative genius of this group. Influenced by older rock and indie bands, Twin Peaks truly gives a fresh feel to the genres. Their newest album “Lookout Low” was released in Sept. of 2019.

4. Ghost Town–The Specials 

The Specials, who gained popularity in the new wave era of music in the 1980s, entertains with this song through the interesting mix of vocal harmonies and instruments which generate a spooky feel that’s guaranteed to spice up any Halloween party this season.

5. Pumpkin Seeds–Devandra Banhart 

Anytime I listen to the song I can’t help but imagine a scene occupied by the rainy October sky, warm mugs of coffee, and the scent of cinnamon sprinkled on freshly baked pumpkin seeds. The muffled, static sound layered beneath the vocals and acoustic guitar creates a vintage feel that puts the mind at ease. This song is perfect for car rides through the mountains and nights spent carving pumpkins. It truly sets the fall mood.

6. Harvard–Diet Cig

Strong female vocals, fast-paced guitar riffs, seamless alternation of tempos, and lyrics about college, cold weather, love, and growing older. What more can you want from a song to pair with the cold weather? What really draws me to this song is the interesting vocals and the mix of upbeat and slowed tempos that I find help me as I’m trudging through endless hours of studying this fall. 

7. Cinnamon–Palehound

Although I don’t listen to Palehound often, this particular song has many similarities to Crumb in my opinion. The low register of the female vocals in unison with jazz elements of the guitar and rhythm section constructs an easygoing sound that flows as easily as the autumn breeze. The themes of love and difficulty match the feelings of fall in addition to the symbol of Cinnamon which more obviously resonates with the notion of fall.

8. Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want–The Smiths

How could I leave them out? The soothing and resonant sound of Morrissey’s voice paired with the mellow yet complex acoustic guitar sends a chill up my spine. This song makes me think of fall because of how calming it is along with the nostalgia I feel when listening to it. I can imagine this song playing softly in the background of a coffee shop as rain falls outside. 

About the Artist: One of my favorite bands of all time, The Smiths are one of the bands at the forefront of the new wave era of the 1980s. With lead singer Morrissey, who continued popularity in his solo career, The Smiths have become an influential group in the British music scene. 

9. Don’t Think Twice It’s Alright–Bob Dylan

You can’t have a fall playlist without the melodious folk sounds of Bob Dylan. Bob Dylan is the king of folk in that he is as good of a writer as he is a musician. Dylan’s lyrics are meaningful and provoke listeners to ponder aspects of life which is important to pay attention to as life enters into another season. The classic harmonica and acoustic guitar forge a tranquil resonance that will carry you through the chilling weather.

10. Bamboo–Hinds

The bold bass riff at the beginning of the song isn’t the only thing that will grab your attention. In this song, the all-girls group, Hinds, effectively procures the 60’s influenced sound with the vocal harmonies, upbeat guitar, and impressive rhythm. One of the more upbeat songs on this list, it stays true to the themes of fall with its lyrics about love and lust.

Bonus Track:

Nightmare on My Street–DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince

Do you know Summertime by DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince? Take that and make it Halloween themed. A spooky themed song with lyrics by Will Smith circa 1988. Enough said.

While I assembled this playlist I realized that to me, the sound of fall is created through a variety of musical techniques such as impressive styles of acoustic guitar, vocal harmonies, and lyrics associated with symbols or themes of this unique time of year. Hopefully, this playlist provided you with some new songs for this season and guided you towards the thought of what fall sounds like to you.