Future in Football

Photo by Thomas Wynne

Speed off the line: As the snap is thrown back to varsity quarterback Jayden Lavigne (14) who hands it off to running back Julian Williams (27), the receivers rush down field to grab the necessary blocks to reach a first down.

In football, every snap is based off of a game plan. But after four years of teamwork, friendship, and community,plan to take a huge leap beyond high school. The choice of attending a university or college comes down to one big decision for most football players: whether to continue playing football or not. The sport is not only a hobby to many of the seniors, but a passion that they have loved to play since they could walk.These athletes have spent hours every season for years training and preparing with the dream that maybe one day they could go pro.

The long journey that started the first day of freshman year has come to a conclusion, and the seniors take the stage for their final bows. But their job is far from over. As they prepare to move onto bigger and better things in college and beyond, they must pass on the torch of leadership and grit to the next generation of team captains. “[seniors] just kind of showed by example because if they were doing the right thing, we would eventually follow suit. And so that’s what we’re doing now with the freshmen, sophomores and juniors,” said Ridwan Lawani (12), linebacker for the varsity squad.

Yet all of the successes and failures of the past four years won’t be forgotten by the parting members of the Cougar team. Through all the hard fought victories and crushing defeats, the team has stayed bound together. Working as one unit on the field during the most vital moments of the game, they know  the value of teamwork. “Oh yeah, there’s definitely a brotherhood and I mean we’ve all been together for four years. For the most part, everyone’s been playing since they were freshmen. I mean, we get along so well you know, it’s just great,” said George Giannou, a staple offensive linemen to the varsity team  (12).

Spending hours  together everyday in practice running plays and reviewing film  in order  to perform at the highest level on field has created a certain bond between the senior plays that goes beyond football.  It’s true, they may be classmates and see each other outside football, but when they suit up to represent Cougar Nation under the Friday night lights, they become closer to one another. “It’s like a family. We’ve gotten to know each other for like four years or even more if you played in middle school. So we’re like a family of brothers and that’s how it’s always been,” said Lawani.

After an eventful season, with landslide victories and narrow losses, they hope to stay in contact with one another in the years ahead. But now is a time for reflection for all they have accomplished in the past four years all working towards a common goal, winning. With golden memories behind them and many different paths ahead of them, now’s the time to ask: what one word would best describe their experience together as a team from freshman year to the end of senior year.  “I would definitely say brotherhood is the perfect word. I mean, I love my coaches and I love my teammates, I’ve learned so much and it’s just crazy to think that it’s almost all over,” said Giannou.