Politically Active Teens Today

+VOTE.++As+we+approach+the+upcoming+election%2C+both+students+and+citizens+recognize+the+importance+of++voting.+%E2%80%9CI+think+it+is+very+important+that+teens+are+encouraged+to+engage+with+politics+and+involved+in+political+activities%2C%E2%80%9D+Julia+Galaz+%2812%29.+Photo+courtesy+of+iStock+9.29.20.

Getty Images/iStockphoto

VOTE. As we approach the upcoming election, both students and citizens recognize the importance of voting. “I think it is very important that teens are encouraged to engage with politics and involved in political activities,” Julia Galaz (12). Photo courtesy of iStock 9.29.20.

Lexi Cipriani, Staffer

With the power of ever-updating social media apps and rampant news outlets constantly gushing out new stories, the stream of information is never ending. Most notably, politics in today’s America is a very rewarding subject; everyone wants to know the latest with the candidates and the upcoming debates. Even recently, National Voter Registration Day was on September 22 encouraging people to get in the know and make the first steps towards the upcoming presidential election.

But what compels teenagers to have any interest in these day-long debates and passionate rallies? How could they even be bothered when they themselves cannot vote? In all the states in America the requirements vary, but for students in Colorado the rules for voting are different in terms of registration. Sixteen year olds can register to vote, and if someone is seventeen they can vote in a primary election if they will turn eighteen on or before the next general election. While this might not mean much, this allowance of political involvement two years before the legal age gives students a reason to pay attention to their country.

Being aware of what’s happening in the world of politics is vital to understanding a person’s place in that world. As someone who must abide by the laws being imposed, citizens should be cognizant of the rights they hold.

“I think we need to be informed and be able to form educated opinions of our own before we start to experience the real world,” said Caitlyn Voyles (11).

Students are taking note of the injustices around them daily. Anyone on a platform like Instagram or Snapchat can recall seeing a story about what’s been happening recently. Spreading awareness has become instrumental in the flow of information on social media, and it shows. 

“I’m constantly learning, and protesting, and sharing info… I think [students] should be learning as much as they can. The more you know, the more educated decisions you can make that will really benefit and push forward society as a whole,” said Taylor May (11).

Political activity in today’s culture is something to be revered. As a person who lives in America, everyone should be able to recognize when their rights are breached or when the law is being violated for their own safety and wellbeing. 

“I feel like [students] should [be involved] because we have the power now that we are getting to the age of voting to elect people who are more fit to run the country with a more modern outlook on things,” said Julia Galaz (12).

Even though teenagers can’t physically go and fill out a ballot, it doesn’t mean they should be apathetic towards all the debates and elections. Involvement in politics is more than just checking a box, and that is more prevalent in 2020 than it has been in years. With all the social discontent in America’s culture, it is crucial now more than ever that everyone plays their part to contribute, even if all they can do right now is register and spread awareness to anyone who will listen.