Conspiracy and Congress

Ted Eytan

Silent, stand Capital Hill with both parties still shaken by the events of Jan. 6th, and the damage that followed. “I hope that some of the politicians in Congress can finally understand the trauma that American students go though” said Christine Galvez(10). Photo courtesy of Ted Eytan.

The 2020 elections happened, and with it came many new and familiar faces in Congress. The Democrats have taken back the Senate and Presidency in one fell swoop. Now empowered by a Democratic majority in Congress, the belief that the Republican party would remain in stasis has diminished. Merely weeks after her confirmation, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene threw the House of Representatives and The Republican caucus into utter madness as her past actions soon came to light.
One of Greene’s first transgressions was spreading QAnon conspiracy theories which she later withdrew. Although her supporters say these actions were before her presence in Congress, many of her critics believe that it’s inexcusable, “Her presence in congress taints the name of American democracy,” said Kate Wilson (10). “…she further solidifies the divide between not only the two major parties but also between moderate and radicalized Republicans.” Eleven Republicans broke ranks and sided with the Democrats in their vote to remove Greene from her committee assignments.
Furthermore, Greene’s past continued to plague her career when a video of her harassing David Hogg, a survivor of the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting of 2018, surfaced. “This video just shows that [Greene] doesn’t know anything about what students go through these days. Not to mention she doesn’t support gun control,” said Christine Galvez (10). This video caused large amounts of animosity between Greene and younger voters since she was recently assigned to the House Education and Labor Committee.
Even after she was removed from her committee assignments, Greene continues to create discord in the halls of Congress. On Feb. 25, the Equality Act was proposed on the house floor and was passed with a 224-206 bipartisan vote. Only three Republicans voted in favor of the bill, and unsurprisingly Greene was not one of them. “I think it’s a bad move,” said Taylor May (11). “If she opposes [the Equality Act], it could potentially ruin her career. Not only that, but if it eventually does pass, she’ll be remembered as the person who didn’t fight for the unrepresented”. The Equality Act aims to finally snuff out discrimination against sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
Ultimately Marjorie Taylor Greene could be the nail in the coffin for the Republican caucus. Many voters now no longer identify themselves as Republicans and now solely support former President Trump. “I do think that Republicans are a bit of a mess. At this point, it’s just unclear what they stand for,” said Galvez. Nevertheless, the Republican party will need a moral reset if it wishes to gain ground in Congress.