Stories from The Trail

CT Today

Stories from The Trail

CT Today

Stories from The Trail

CT Today

Stress During Final Exams
Stress During Final Exams
Blake LangleyMay 20, 2024

Final exams are around the corner and they are something that can be very stressful for many students. Studying for final exams involves a...

Defying the odds
Defying the odds
Ava ZadigianMay 19, 2024

Torn ACL, broken leg, sprained ankle. All injuries happen in a split second and can be easily fixed with a cast, and, in the worst case, surgery....

CT Cuisine: Five Guys

In the latest quest to satisfy their hunger, trail media reporters Shishyan Bhatta and Yabetse Beneberu landed at the local Five Guys in Southlands. Known for their Burgers, the duo are keen to know if Five Guys is a location worth a trip of famished students nearby.

Right as we opened the door the air was filled with the aroma of burgers, and we were welcomed in by the workers at the grill. The place had a red and white interior and had sacks of potatoes and peanuts piled near the tables. There was a sign eluting to where the potatoes you eat that day were produced in, our’s was from Egid, Idaho. The sacks of potatoes and signs gave us a sense of comfort knowing that our food was freshly sourced.

That sense of comfort quickly faded as we glanced at the menu as everything was high-priced; a regular hamburger 10.19, for just the burger. For comparison, the Big Daddy burger at Good Times is identical to the bacon cheeseburger at Five Guys, yet is $3.70 cheaper than Five Guys, this may sound like a small deal but for your regular high school student, Five Guys may be a little expensive.

Though Five Guys is not that far in Southlands, students still need a motor vehicle to cover the distance, limiting the restaurant to mostly upperclassmen. The wait time was not bad, as we got in and out in very little time. 

The burger itself was very good, with nice juicy patties, with melted cheese and crispy bacon. Though the burgers were good it was only slightly better than Good Times which is right across the street. The cajun fries were delicious and well seasoned; they didn’t skimp out on the fries as the bag was overflowing. 

With a good burger and proximity to the school, Five Guys is a great option to go grab lunch, but in our opinion, Good Times is a better option for most high school students, as they are cheaper, offer faster service, and are located across the street.