Stories from The Trail

CT Today

Stories from The Trail

CT Today

Stories from The Trail

CT Today

Boys Volleyball honors the life of Daniel Xiao
Lena Donatelli, Savvy Swensen, and Christopher Rodriguez April 25, 2024

On Tuesday, April 9th, the varsity boys volleyball team held a memorial game to honor the life of Daniel Xiao, a former member of the team who...

Skyler Speaks: Behind the Scenes of TNT Pizza
Skyler Landry and Ethan Singletary April 24, 2024

In nearby Parker, is Colorado’s very own TNT Pizza, one of the state’s first Black Owned pizza parlors. Trail Media reporters Skyler Landry...

Mateo Garreffa – Bounces back after multiple ACL surgeries

Three letters would rob him of his fourteen months. Three letters would press pause on his dreams without a warning. Three letters would push him into the most difficult challenge yet.

Mateo Garreffa is an 11th-grade student who works just as hard but has not had the fortune of everyone else. Ever since October of 2022, Mateo has watched from the side as others continue developing and pursuing their dreams. What does he have to look forward to? During these months he has had two surgeries on the same knee. Sidelined as his teammates study X’s and O’s, he has three different letters to worry about. His torn ACL.

“Why did this have to happen?” Garreffa questioned, “I just started, like getting some good reps on JV.” said Garreffa. 

Numerous seasons filled with memories and opportunities flew by as he crutched along in PT. The young man however stands up to the challenge. Being a multi-sport athlete he can be seen putting in double the work. He is always supporting his team from the side and putting in his own work. To Mateo Garreffa it just means more. 

His positivity radiates onto others, always smiling and taking the pros over the cons. Finally making his return to athletics this winter season Garreffa stands on the wrestling mat with a 7-5 record. Having not wrestled since freshman year he is hungry. Garreffa is dominating his matches in his 175-pound weight class. 

“The main goal is to qualify for state,” he said, dreaming of “being able to wrestle at Ball Arena,” said Garreffa. The story does not end in February as his gears shift focus for revenge on the gridiron. To prove not only to others but also to himself that three letters would not hold him back. For his senior season, it will have been a year and a half since the injury. 

Garreffa concluded, “I want to be able to make a difference and be able to help the team do what we’ve been talking about.”